Sunday, August 12, 2012

Koszonom covers a multitude of sins...

Greetings from Budapest!

Each day in this new place seems to bring something unexpected.  A new way of shopping (I call it eeny meeny miney mo) where I only buy things that have pictures on them; a new understanding of how things are numbered - I live on the first floor, yet I walk a flight of stairs to get there; a new method of transportation where now getting on 3 different types of public transport is becoming more normal; and most importantly, a whole new language.  As with most new languages, you learn the most basic words and phrases first; please, thank you, I'm sorry, how much, and where is the toilet.  I have found myself stuck on one particular word, koszonom (pronounced koo-sah-nem), which means thank you.  I find that I am using it for any and all occasion, mostly improperly. 

Here are a few examples;

* I give you money for my food and you give me my change.  Koszonom!  (proper usage)

*  I bump into you on the tram.  Koszonom! 

*  I need to ask you a question.  Koszonom!

* I am giving you a confused face because you are speaking Hungarian to me.  Koszonom!

Pretty much in any and all situations I am able to throw a koszonom in there and feel proud of myself. I feel sure that the locals wonder why I am saying "thank you" to them after I step on their toe, but I walk away feeling proud of myself for mastering this new language. Baby steps, people.

Here are a few snapshots of my new home and where I live.  These images are to be used as an enticement to come and visit me...

The River Danube and House of Parliament - my house is behind the white building on the left.

Here is my new mode of transportation!

This is the cute side street by my house - shops and wine bars abound!

This is my building - my place is on the "1st" floor...
but it's really the one on the second floor with the statue thing above it.

Here's the inside of the building - my front door is behind the white gate on the left side.

My living room and attempt to decorate a bit...

Oliver is very comfy in his new casa ~ Louise is still hiding a bit!






3 comments: